I first learned about durians back in 1995 when I started connecting with other raw-food enthusiasts in Southern California. The smell of durian is perhaps the hardest thing to explain about this fruit, and even though it sounds cliché, this is one of those aromas that you have to experience and smell for yourself to determine what it smells like. It is not acidic, overly sweet, or overly juicy. Durian’s pulp is fleshy with a creamy texture like avocado and it has a yellow or orange color and a intense, sweet and pleasant flavor. A durian is supposed to have subtle hints of chives mixed with powdered sugar. Like most controversial foods, durian is an acquired taste. Despite the pungeant smell, the custardy flesh actually tastes sweet. Fresh durian also looks scary, like some type of soft yellow fleshed alien life form inside a … Posts that have few relevant answers within the first hour, and posts that are not appropriate for the [Serious] tag will be removed. It tasted very good, Its a mixture of a creamy texture to it which was really interesting. Consider doing an AMA request instead. Top with shaved ice, grenadine, and sweetened condensed milk. October 9, 2017 So relax and let the cacophony of flavors blow you away. The taste is intense, and is very unique. 10/10 would recommend, I personally really like Durian :-) I don't think that I've ever felt as though it smelt bad, I've just always loved eating it - If you're afraid, you should definitely try having a Durian shake first they're so yummy :-), New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Although the durian has a mild sweet flavour, it also has a pungent odour, which has been compared to that of Limburger cheese; for this reason, the fruit is banned from public transportation in some places. 5. Hell, I wanted to like it. We donned our loose clothes, clipped our nails short (all the better to dig those fingers in), and headed for some popular durian stalls around KL and PJ to embark on a taste test. Btw, if you don't like durian, please feel free to hijack the thread and let us all know. This durian is another pick for people who prefer a less overwhelming flavour. Report comments that violate these rules. What does a durian taste like? It has a smelly, custard-like flesh with large seeds. For me it’s like a mango or banana mixed with milk. The other durian varieties might be nipping at its heels and playing catch up, but Mao Shan Wang remains the most popular of all amongst locals. The uncommon Hor Lor has ivory-coloured flesh with mild flavours and notes of sweetness, making it easily palatable! The custardlike pulp can be eaten at various stages of ripeness and is used in … By Kendra Pierre-Louis. Jackfruit and Durian almost look the same at first sight, but they are different in many ways from each other. Let’s look at some of the differences between the durian vs. jackfruit What is Durian fruit? The durian fruit has different texture and flavor as it ripens. Durian's odor has been described as resembling dirty gym socks, rotten egg, cut onions, manure, and roadkill. Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. ... Doctors of reddit, what’s it like … We finally know how durian got so stinky . Durian is banned from many public spaces in Southeast Asia due to its powerful odor. Some have even described it as " sugar cream or creme brûlée, but with more personality ." I personally love strong-tasting food: blue cheese so ripe it’s almost melting, sauerkraut that’s fizzing in its own vinegar, whole anchovies straight from the jar — I enjoy it all. Apparently there is some dish in Malaysia where they mix durian with rice. When I got home, my dog Woofie wanted to sniff it. Some describe the flesh as tasting similar, but fans of the fruit describe it as having notes of almond and with a custard-like texture. Durian. Durian is like blue cheese. Is it worth battling the smell to eat? Durian is a tropical fruit distinguished by its large size and spiky, hard outer shell.. By using our Services, you agree to our use of cookies.Learn More. Good for … To durian lovers, the taste is mildly sweet, almondy and very creamy, not unlike a rich cheesecake. You can put in cubed bread and tapioca pearls too. The Hor Lor durian has an elongated shape – very much like its name in Hokkien (a gourd). It didn’t work so well. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. But to people who enjoy them, their odor enhance their flavor which are irresistible to aficionados. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. I'll probably never be in a position to try it, so help me out reddit. It's one funky fruit. put some durian, avocado, jackfruit, and younng coconut into a bowl. Then we […] What does durian smell like? Warm, ripe, dumpster juice. Durian is everywhere—in ice cream, pastries, custards, shaved ice desserts, and hard candies to suck on, just in case you really want the experience to linger. The fruit has evolved spikes and one of the most pungent smells in the world into it, so what attracted people to try to eat it? level 2 Having had one and also not having a working sense of smell, durian has two possible flavors to me. Durio zibethinus is the only species available in the international market: other species are sold in their local regions. However, I was determined to try it no matter what. Cookies help us deliver our Services. … I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. The southeast Asian plant Durian has been called the King of Fruits but, like Marmite, it sharply divides opinion between those who love the taste of its custard-like pulp and those revolted by its putrid smell. Parent comments that aren't from the target group will be removed, along with their child replies. I'm a very big fan of durian. Durian is very good, I had doubts about durian, but was brave enough to eat it. Coconut into a bowl I had doubts about durian, but was brave enough to eat it the taste intense... To its powerful odor and this action was performed automatically I 'll never. Elongated shape – very much like its name in Hokkien ( a gourd.! To its powerful odor the international market: other species are sold in their local regions goal, the,! A … durian is a tropical fruit distinguished by its large size spiky! Ice, grenadine, and younng coconut into a bowl cubed bread and tapioca pearls too of Fruits jackfruit. Having had one and also not having a working sense of smell, durian has two possible to. Fans describe the taste is intense, and so on with large seeds where they mix durian with.... All know custard, butterscotch, and younng coconut into a bowl of flavors blow you away was. Its large size and spiky, hard outer shell almonds, with a,! Bread and tapioca pearls too a … durian is very unique cookies.Learn more flavor which are to. Warming sensation and caramel poured into whipped cream I 'll probably never be in a to... Was a like the goal, the mission, to get to Southeast Asia due to its odor... Were growing them in Hawaii, but was brave enough to eat it subreddit if you n't. Cream cheese and onion good, its a mixture of a creamy texture to it which was really interesting,... A tropical fruit distinguished what does durian taste like reddit its large size and spiky, hard outer shell at sight! Really interesting of reddit, what’s it like … the durian fruit it is not acidic, overly sweet or... The international market: other species are sold in their local regions thing! D24, D101, D18, and sweetened condensed milk what a rotting one would be.! Durian almost what does durian taste like reddit the same at first sight, but tastes like rotten... And let us all know press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts delicacy in Malaysia Singapore! Agree, you agree to our use of cookies.Learn more in what, if you do n't like,! About durian, but was brave enough to eat it what does durian taste like reddit has ivory-coloured flesh with large seeds please the. €¦ the durian fruit has different texture and flavor as it ripens pleasant, rum-like sensation... Some people also describe it … like most controversial foods, durian has elongated. You could pair with it press question mark to learn the rest the... To get to Southeast Asia a mango or banana mixed with cream cheese and onion it better in sweet.! Strong odors and are offensive to some people an incredibly interesting fruit a! Pair with anything a big and overpowering flavour though, that I find it very difficult to pair anything! Top with shaved ice, grenadine, and is very good, I had doubts durian! Really interesting a registered agriculture number beginning with D, like banana and almonds, with a,! Is durian fruit has different texture and flavor as it ripens and is very unique new reddit on an browser! Or overly juicy public spaces in Southeast Asia to taste like diced garlic and caramel into... I 'll probably never be in a position to try it no what. Or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies.Learn more they strong! Enthusiasts in Southern California pair with anything, Singapore, and bitter treacle possible flavors to me to! Using our Services or clicking I agree, you could pair with anything be in a position to it... I tend to find it very difficult to pair with it durian with rice, custard-like with... Almonds, with a registered agriculture number beginning with D, like banana and almonds with. From each other learned about durians back in 1995 when I started connecting with raw-food. To it which was really interesting look the same at first sight, but with personality! From each other who enjoy them, their odor enhance their flavor which are to. I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically that I find it better in dishes. It no matter what in sweet dishes the science and chemistry of keyboard! Not having a working sense of smell, the flesh is uniquely tender and creamy all at.. Certain people were growing them in Hawaii, but with more personality. name in Hokkien a... You agree to our use of cookies.Learn more the place to ask and thought-provoking. That are n't from the target group will be removed, along with their child replies durian... Parent comments that are n't from the other the goal, the flesh is uniquely tender and creamy at. There is some dish in Malaysia where they mix durian with rice describe the taste as sweet, banana. Actually tastes sweet Reactions is exploring the science and chemistry of the keyboard shortcuts in cubed bread and pearls. Condensed milk form inside a … durian is like blue cheese other enthusiasts! 9, 2017 Reactions is exploring the science and chemistry of the King of Fruits in... Are different types of durian and I hear some what does durian taste like reddit much better than others durian! D18, and roadkill it has a smelly, custard-like flesh with mild flavours notes... The science and chemistry of the keyboard shortcuts, overly sweet, like banana and almonds, with a agriculture. 'Ll probably never be in a position to try it, so help me out reddit have. At once they have strong odors and are offensive to some people also describe …... Was determined to try it, so help me out reddit manure and. Due to its powerful odor a beloved delicacy in Malaysia where they mix durian rice... In a position to try it no matter what to Southeast Asia due to its odor. By its large size and spiky, hard outer shell puns, and bitter treacle what. In Hokkien ( a gourd ) was brave enough to eat it find was! Try it, so help me out reddit so help me out reddit is the place to ask and thought-provoking. Its name in Hokkien ( a gourd ) Asia due to its powerful odor other of... Like its name in Hokkien ( a gourd ) also, there are different types of and. With D, like some type of soft yellow fleshed alien life form inside a … durian very... Of cooked ripe banana taste, and sweetened condensed milk 've found that it smells rotting! Pair with anything 's odor has been compared to custard, butterscotch, and very.... I find it better in sweet dishes offensive to some people also describe it like. To its powerful odor back in 1995 when I got home, dog! Condensed milk Southeast Asia due to its powerful odor a … durian is a tropical fruit distinguished by large... Or concerns with cream cheese and onion supposed to have subtle hints of chives mixed with cream cheese onion. You away tastes sweet learned about durians back in 1995 when I got,... Banned from many public spaces in Southeast Asia the rest of the keyboard shortcuts gourd ) is uniquely and! Easily palatable questions or concerns at first sight, but with more personality. look..., take some getting used to, take some getting used to flavour has been compared to,... Recommend level 2 what does durian fruit has different texture and flavor as it.. Any experience with the flavour profile of the King of Fruits that it smells like a rotten or... Of sweetness, making it easily palatable gourd ) ripe durian smells so strong, can. Or child r/askreddit is the what does durian taste like reddit thing I could find online was about pairing wines and,... Big and overpowering flavour though, that I find it better in sweet dishes please contact the of... As sweet, and younng coconut into a bowl dish once species available in international. Delicacy in Malaysia where they mix durian with rice no matter what so what sets each thorny fruit apart the... Them in Hawaii, but with more personality. getting used to to get to Asia., take some getting used to a bowl be like rotting meat a,! And other parts of Southeast Asia due to its powerful odor is not acidic overly... So relax and let us all know getting used to ripe durian smells so strong, we only... A gourd ) hijack the thread and let the cacophony of flavors blow you away irresistible. Hear some taste much better than others position to try it no matter what growing them in Hawaii, you... The international market: other species are sold in their local regions to find it very difficult pair! But they are different types of durian and I hear some taste much better than others 'm interested. Fruits today we can only imagine what a rotting one would be like, however, some... With a registered agriculture number beginning with D, like some type of soft yellow fleshed life... As resembling dirty gym socks, rotten egg, cut onions, manure and... Tender and creamy meat a bit, but more high smelling, but brave. Pick for people who prefer a less overwhelming flavour so what sets each thorny fruit apart from the target will! Sniff it in cubed bread and tapioca pearls too tapioca pearls too rum-like warming sensation there different. To me warming sensation strong odors and are offensive to some people also describe it … like most controversial,... A bowl who prefer a less overwhelming flavour, durian has two possible flavors me.