Initial music genres can sound soft and seductive on the first, but over time, that impression can turn into the feeling that we have a deal with a subtle, “lazy” device. Please refresh the page and try again. Dimensions: 17.5″ (450mm) W by ca 4.5″ (115mm) H (including dustcover) by 15″ (385mm) D. Weight: 9.2 lbs (4.2kg). But “Sir Duke” and other hits with the Rega RP1 get on the dynamics, and the rich brass section and Wonder’s voice on the transparency. Audio Advice allows you to get that cartridge and turntable combo as a bundle. They have manufactured numerous stylish and great sounding players. Plug and … 18mm ≈ center hole diameter. © I began with Ella Fitzgerald’s version of the Sinatra classic, One for My Baby. Every product we make is designed and assembled in the UK to the highest possible standard. I had saved some 24/96 digital samples of playback from the P1 (courtesy of my Nagra LB digital recorder) and there was no mistake that the RP1 is a major step up. If that were true, Rega’s cheaper devices would not be worth anything. Best turntable up to £400, Awards 2011. Great entry point into enjoying higher quality vinyl. I'm leaning towards the Music Hall, but seeking some advice from the forum. He asks if potential buyers should bother buying one at all or hunt around for a second hand P1? All rights reserved. Considering the less disturbance of the signal, this is desirable minimalism, commonplace with other cheap turntables with audiophiles pretensions. Also the low quality of the terminal. Manufacturer: Rega Research, Ltd., 6 Coopers Way, Temple Farm Industrial Estate, Southend on Sea, Essex, England SS2 5TE, UK. Although Rega seems to have nothing to do with the impression that it is a collectors device(except “brilliant” tonearms), the overall RP1 is a very harmonious, eye-pleasing device designed, well not in China, but in England. an… Rega RP1 Manual Turntable Review. Ward De Wit. Rega RP-10 review. If they have concluded that the Rega Carbon MM cartridge works well with RP1 then that’s the way it is. At £329 for a Plus, though, that shouldn’t be a surprise. We can say it is a turntable under $500, but it has a sound that belongs in a higher price class. All Rega products carry a lifetime warranty against manufacture defects. RB880 tonearm; Ania, Ania Pro or Apheta 3 (optional) 18 mm Triple layer float glass platter Rega claims that this, combined with the new tonearm provides for increased resolution, and the first record auditioned, Herbie Hancock’s Empyrean Isles brings a new perspective on this Blue Note classic, and illustrates a turntable, tonearm and cartridge all working together as a system. Rega, once the king of the affordable turntable sector has just reasserted its position in the market a brand-new entry-level model, the RP1. It can also mean that the item is more durable. The RP1 has been a darling among audiophiles for decades. Rega RP1 review When mechanical engineer Roy Gandy founded Rega Research Ltd. back in 1973, his goal was a simple one: manufacture high-end audio equipment at affordable prices. It features many of the ideas developed for Naiad yet costs considerably less than the £20k expected price of that model. England and Wales company registration number 2008885. My guess would be to go with the RP1, the newer of the two. T he Rega Company for over 4 decades now has been making turntables in the United Kingdom. The closest I could come was Rega's own RB300 tonearm, surely the best-selling perfectionist tonearm of all time. 01 November 2010. Bath Visit our corporate site. Today we will be reviewing Rega’s entry-level Planar 1 turntable. On the flip side, it can also mean that the manufacturer just used heavier materials to give the impression of quality. Rega's new RP1 turntable was designed and engineered to achieve outstanding performance way beyond the expectations of a product at this price point. And just when Rega is a little overdone in deciding what is important and what’s wrong, they hit our ears with such a sound so we quickly forget about the interconnection stories and the impossibility of setting the tracking force. Its focus is music and music, providing a presentation and a fast sound with a rich mid-range sound spectrum. To change the 33 rpm to 45 rpm and vice versa you need to remove the platter and move the rubber belt from one pulley to the other. These are the products we considered that ultimately didn't make our top 5. Captain Marvel 4K Blu-ray Review; Huawei P30 Pro Review; Fast Five 4K Blu-ray Review; L.A.'s Finest Season 1 Review; Sony AG8 (KD-55AG8) 4K OLED Review I have to be honest with you, I still remember my parents’ Dual turntable and the fun experienced while listening to the fairy tales from the Efteling, a Dutch theme park, and later on Jeff Wayne’s musical version of the war of the worlds. We remember the small Rega R1 compared the competition in the same class with the impression that there was no built-in unit as light as it was. I have owned my Rega Planar 6 for 12 months (it was a 2018 Christmas gift). Another factor is that I'm in Waco, TX and have a newborn at home, so I can't even get to Dallas or Austin to audition any of these. It’s a budget deck that doesn’t sound like one. Lets take a moment to review the Rega – RP1 Turntable and see how it compares against the Rega tradition as well as similarly priced competitive products. Roy Gandi has several simple rules in designing a turntable. Future Publishing Limited Quay House, The Ambury, Rega RP1 is a true plug & play device; It is factory-installed inexpensive, but very solid Rega Carbon MM cartridge and the tracking force is factory set to the value Rega claims in the range of 1.5 to 2 g. The counterweight, though, can move, but there is no common thread for adjusting the weight at will, which could be a problem to those who decide to upgrade this turntable with a tonearm that requires tracking force beyond the default range. The deck's dynamics are strong and there's a decent dose of rhythmic drive. The voice of Curt Kirkwood is presented and in a deep perspective pushed forward. He does more than that, though. Rega Planar 6. by Rob3000. The old, pretty “dry” mono-recording of Ramsey Lewis trio revealed the contours of the sound of this turntable. A piece of a thin cloth is on the platter, the base of the turntable is a relatively thin panel covered with a plastic furnace. The piano of Ramsey Lewis showed the correct contours of the volume in the lower registers and gave the impression of timbral correction in the higher, the double bass was fast and tense, and the drum – at least on the transitions – kept somewhat of not a very pleasant resonance, which is a matter of recordings rather than a turntable. The clean lines eliminate unnecessary clutter while the high stability motor reduces noise. Best noise-cancelling earbuds 2020: budget and premium, Best stereo amplifiers 2020: best integrated amps for every budget. Rega RP1 vs. Planar 1 Rega turntables are recognized worldwide as some of the best record players available today. Impressive for this class of device with a tonearm of $50. The RP1 is a great buy. The BestReviews editorial team researches hundreds of products based on consumer reviews, brand quality, and value. If you’re buying your first turntable, the Rega Planar 1 is one of the simplest, most user-friendly options on the market. But since this is a high-tech piece of equipment, let us assume that the weight is a result of the components. What Hi-Fi? The RP1 was the first in a new generation of Rega ‘RP’ turntables, all offering far greater performance than their predecessors. Given Rega's pedigree at higher prices it's no surprise to see the company delivering such an excellent budget product. Amazing sound for the moneySet-up is a breeze. Can also be used as an upgrade platter for the Rega Planar/RP/P 1... 295mm ≈ diameter x 10mm ≈ thick. Pro-ject has rightly dominated the budget turntable market for the last decade or so with various versions of its Debut and Genie decks. As with any turntable, careful positioning is a must for the best results: just keep it away from the speakers and make sure the supporting surface is rigid and all will be fine.The plinth carries a well-made main bearing and the RB 101 arm – a simplified version of Rega's highly regarded RB300 – plus a motor with a stepped pulley. Rega doesn’t include a phono cartridge with the Planar 3, but the company recommends pairing it with the Elys2. RP1 is a new entry-level model of the legendary British music company that has built its name for decades on high-quality and affordable turntables and tonearms. It has a plain rectangular plinth with three rubber feet. The RP10 is Rega’s latest and most ambitious turntable aside from the as yet to be finalized Naiad. The thing with Pro-ject Debut Carbon was the vibration from the motor that made a miserable 400 Hz note - which I believe just quality control issue from the factory since many positive reviews for Debut Carbon says no hum. The Rega has a classic, minimalistic appearance that suits most decor. View Rega’s range of award-winning turntables. But when R1 was connected, it showed a character that did not come out of memory so easily. At this level it's all about simple, effective engineering: something Rega understands.The RP1 is about as simple as record players get. Rega RP-1 Performance Pack: Upgrade kit for Rega RP-1 comprising new drive belt & platter mat, new Rega Bias 2 moving-magnet cartridge: recommended downforce, 1.75gm; output, 6.8mV. Like many other Rega’s products, this can be attributed to a specific character. Using the same DSP (digital signal processing) generator found in the RP10... Output to motor bi-phase = 24 V AC protected by resettable fuse. Housed in Rega's lightweight, high rigidity cartridge body, the Bias 2... Genuine Rega replacement glass platter for Planar/RP/P turntables. It is a bargain in both technological and sonic terms. No doubt, the RP1 can provide a lot of excitement and musical pleasure in the adventure of first or rediscovering the world of analog sound and magic of vinyl. It has a plain rectangular plinth with three rubber feet. With these easy-to-see features, RP1 discovered a concealed, but precious one; Compared to the Pro-Ject, Rega RP1 drawn a smoother and darker background from the vinyl grooves. Please deactivate your ad blocker in order to see our subscription offer, We check over 130 million products every day for the best prices, Best Boxing Day sales in Australia for 2020: discounted hi-fi, AV and more, Boxing Day sales: best deals on TVs, headphones, speakers and more, Best Boxing Day TV deals: big discounts on OLED, QLED and LCD TVs, The 22 best Boxing Day headphones deals 2020, Arsenal vs Chelsea live stream: channel, start time, how to watch in 4K. A better record of the cult American rocker Meat Puppets confirmed the original impression of sound tightness with less softness but more details. Power... Made from an ultra-pure rubber designed for Rega's cartridges, but now... New material is smoother and stronger than the standard drive belt, Rega recommends replacing the belt on their tables every 4-5 years. I tried to name a high-end audio product that's been recommended more often than the Rega Planar 3 turntable. Here is Rega RP1 manual: Rega RP1 User Manual Download. This is a top of the record players under $500 class. Read More. Our Verdict. By What Hi-Fi? Shares. Turntable Pros June 2, 2016 898 . I then brought out a Lenco L-3808 (£200), flicked its internal phono amplifier switch to external (if Lenco has such a thing, why doesn’t Rega?) As with the interconnect, Rega thinks it just does not matter. The Rega RP1 is an innovation in design and sound quality at an affordable price point. The Hawk Member. Reduce the mass and increase the strength, move structural resonances to the upper range of the frequency spectrum, minimize damping, and reduce engine vibration without using mechanical aids. It's clear the Ortofon cartridge limits transparency, but it's still balanced enough not to spoil things. Location: Toronto. If the item is more substantial, it has less chance of slipping or moving around during use. displaying reviews 1 to 2 of 2. Rega does not keep up with some unspoken rules in hi-fi, especially not in the initial series. For example, the weight of the component is talking about the quality of the device. The post-punk Arctic Mokey’s latest date seemed to be warmer than we remember the sound of the same songs from the CD, but the cymbals sound is more natural and organic, just like the guitar riffs. Rega Planar 6 Reviews. Namely, RP1 has a brand new, lighter tonearm RB101, it looks like it is borrowed from the P2 model, and it’s a new platter made of highly durable and persistent phenolic resin, popularly referred to as bakelite. Rega RP 6 Review & Test. Housed in Rega's unique, lightweight, high rigidity cartridge body, the... A high quality mat manufactured from 100% natural wool. The interconnection wire is not worth mentioning since it is a very cheap thing. The exact terms would be phono stage and phono preamp. Rega is a company with a very sensible naming strategy: the higher the number, the further up the range. A perfectly likeable Ortofon OMB5 cartridge completes the hardware. Simply, when Rega thinks something is not important for the sound, then it does not try to hide it. With its debut and Genie models, Pro-ject has held power in this class of the turntables, retiring the P1 model and inaugurating the better RP1 Rega, once again throwing down the gauntlet into the face of the competition. The Rega RP1 is good enough to change all that. Web: www.rega.co.uk. Check out Jeff Dorgay's review in TONEAudio. TLMusic, Oct 3, 2011 #1. Excellent build quality, reliability and ease of use combine to make a product, which will offer a lifetime of musical enjoyment. You will receive a verification email shortly. awards, reviews. Rega Plana 2 versus RP1 Submitted by Iamgavin2 on April 3, 2013 - 12:14am I have a rega Plana 2 of over 20 year vintage with damaged tone arm I am thinking of replacing the turntable : will this rp1 give comparable or even better performance? Read the details below. This warranty covers genuine confirmed manufacture defects. I haven't heard either of them. Rega RP1 – Review, Test and Final Verdict The turntable in the initial class can sound soft and seductive on the first impression, but over time, that impression can turn into a feeling that we have a deal with a subtle, “lazy” device. ($450 - Rega RP1 w/ performance pack) Obviously, there's a slippery slope here (just another $50, and I can get xxxx.) √ Check The Price and Read Customer Reviews √, Rega Planar 2 10mm Thick Glass-Platter for Planar/RP/P 1/2/ 3/3-24/5/ 6/7 Turntables, Rega Neo High-Performance Turntable TT-PSU Power Supply Upgrade, Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB-BK Direct-Drive Turntable (Analog & USB), Fully Manual, Hi-Fi, 3 Speed, Convert Vinyl to Digital, Anti-Skate and Variable Pitch Control Black, 1byone Wireless Turntable HiFi System with 36 Watt Bookshelf Speakers, Vinyl Record Player with Magnetic Cartridge, Wireless Playback & Auto-Off, Patent Designed, Fluance RT81 Elite High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable Record Player with Audio Technica AT95E Cartridge, Belt Drive, Built-in Preamp, Adjustable Counterweight, Solid Wood Plinth - Walnut, Sony PS-LX310BT Belt Drive Turntable: Fully Automatic Wireless Vinyl Record Player with Bluetooth and USB Output Black, Amazon Pricing and Availability Disclosure, Precision main bearing and sub-platter assembly, Phenolic resin flywheel effect platter improves speed stability. The turntable in the initial class can sound soft and seductive on the first impression, but over time, that impression can turn into a feeling that we have a deal with a subtle, “lazy” device. Thank you for signing up to What Hi-Fi?. With a great record of the Swiss avant-garde Yello and in this case, the referent Pro-Ject RPM4 and the RP1 tested have been brilliant in every way – Pro-Ject is playing a bit warmer with a more luxurious stereo picture, while Rega catches bass control and speed as well as the impressive depth of stage. Two-speed belt-drive turntable with manual tonearm & moving-magnet cartridge. BA1 1UA. Save Saved Removed 0. The cartridge is pre-fitted and the ideal counterweight position is already marked on the arm. The Rega Planar 1 has been out and about for a little while and so Paul Rigby has been able to have a good long look at the thing before giving it a thorough review. For Easy to use and set-up fine build The RP1 is a great buy. Best turntable up to £400, Awards 2011. Rega RP1 or P2? And RP1 is an unusually lightweight device, including a bakelite platter. This is my first manual deck so I have little experience or other brands for comparison. In each case the Rega digs up plenty of information. I failed. We then choose a shorter list for in-depth research and testing before finalizing our top picks. In this class the turntable can “toughen” the harder recording a bit, rounding off the edges, as it does ProJect RPM4 turntable in this same class. The RP1 has a substantial helping of the “Rega Sound”, with speedy attack, and a clean midrange. Just set the bias – just under 2 worked well – and place the Phenolic resin (posh plastic, in other words) platter in place, and off you go.It doesn't take long to see that the RP1 is a terrific performer for the money. Rega RP1 does not belong to that line of “budget” turntable classes. Paired with a good receiver and a decent set of speakers, I'm enjoying the good range of sound it produces. The P2 perhaps has a better arm. Next on my list was the original Rega Elys, a moving … The minimalist design of the Rega RP1 and the use of extremely high quality components ensure that this turntable will last for many years. Reviews. I began by testing the Rega Plus using its built in phono amplifier against various low cost, Chinese-made sub-budget turntables using their own built-in phono amplifiers and the Plus won, hands down, sonically, in every frequency area. is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. The Planar 1 looks unmistakably like a Rega, and visually differs very little from the RP1 it replaces. The new Rega RP6 is an example of how it looks in practice. Rega RP1 does not belong to that line of “budget” turntable classes. Given Rega 's pedigree at higher prices it's no surprise to see the company delivering such an excellent budget product. Rega RP-1 has only one ON/OFF switch, which is also the trigger for starting/stopping the platter. Heavier weight tends to suggest better stability. He had a hard time determining a difference between the two. And it can only be replaced if you open the mechanism and solder a new wire. The Rega RP1 is a drive belt turntable, and with this quality of motor and a precision main bearing below its platter, the Rega turntable is all about great sounds and high noise reduction. Finish: Medium-gray semigloss (dark gray and white semigloss available). Pros of using the Rega RP1 Turntable One of the greatest things about the Rega – RP1 Turntable is the incredible ease in which it can be set up. I love the aesthetic minimalist look of both project carbon debut and this Rega RP1. Rega RP1 replaces the P1 model with upgrades that we could not just call cosmetics. Rega Fono MM MK3 review (What Hi-Fi) Related Questions Is a phono stage the same as a preamp? You are guaranteed to have that be the case for records playing at both 33 1/3 and 45 RPM. As preamp can have a different meaning than phono preamp outside the vinyl jargon. That includes award winning amplification systems, speakers, cartridges and of course turntables. If you liked this article, please rate below. There was a problem. I average 5 hours/week listening time. Disclaimer: If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. This warranty does not cover wear and tear. This allows a manual speed change where the drive belt is moved by hand between the pulley steps. Due to its great quality build and sound, as well as it’s sub $500 price, the Planar 1 has quickly become one of the most popular entry-level turntables in … In the context of turntables and vinyl records, phono stage and preamp usually mean the same. After that came the Rega Planar 2 turntable, a sample of which I owned and loved in the early 1980s. With Lewis, we came to the first conclusion; RP1 does not enhance tart recordings that respond to Rega’s philosophy of sound. Rega RP1 does not belong to that line of “budget” turntable classes. When Miles Davis started to play, Rega RP1 was brilliant; With a clear separation of instruments Miles’s trumpet floated in the room and conveyed the craftsmanship of the master. Rega did not give up, the recording was reproduced tightly and clearly in the middle, and in the highs, there were some grainy edges. I've had my RP1 for a couple of years now and it has not let me down. At this level it's all about simple, effective engineering: something Rega understands. Sign up below to get the latest from What Hi-Fi?, plus exclusive special offers, direct to your inbox! Setup is designed to be simple and removes the need to manually balance the tonearm. It sounds surefooted and confident whether playing a heavily used copy of Holst's The Planets or a factory fresh pressing of The XX's Mercury-prize winning debut. The Planar 1 Plus is a combination of the Rega P1 with the company’s Fono Mini A2D phono stage albeit without the analogue to digital converter and USB output of the latter, which makes it slightly more affordable package than the two units combined (£329 rather than £339). for more info + purchase, visit:http://turntablelab.com/regaquick intro, unboxing, and setup video for the Rega RP1 Turntable. Through years of careful evolution, attention to detail, and a desire to always do better – Rega has helped ensure modern record players continue to grow in popularity. Stevie Wonder’s albums from his most adventurous stage don’t have a hi-fi sound, are pretty dark and a bad system will give us a restriction of details. Rega RP1 review Simply doesn't sound like a budget record player Tested at £230. The RP1 is about as simple as record players get. It’s a budget deck that doesn’t sound like one. This is a complete overhaul of the Rega RP1 which came before it. World Of Turntables – Turntable Reviews – The Best Turntables of 2020, Disclosure Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact | About Us. The device trio revealed the contours of the sound, then it does not belong to that of... Many of the cult American rocker Meat Puppets confirmed the original impression of sound tightness with less softness but details. You for signing up to What Hi-Fi? we make is designed and assembled in the United.! Good enough to change all that decent dose of rhythmic drive see company! Rega, and setup video for the sound, then it does belong... Prices it 's all about simple, effective engineering: something Rega understands was 2018. Hunt around for a second hand P1 be worth anything among audiophiles for decades, direct to your!... Music, providing a presentation and a clean midrange project carbon debut this! Course turntables RP1 manual: Rega RP1 manual: Rega RP1 does not keep up with unspoken... | about us RP1 User manual Download t include a phono cartridge with the RP1, Ambury! Last for many years rigidity cartridge body, the Bias 2... Rega! To spoil things it can also mean that the item is more.... The Rega digs up plenty of information no surprise to see the company delivering such an excellent budget product so... Less softness but more details of its debut and Genie decks, I 'm enjoying the good of. First manual deck so I have little experience or other brands for comparison and phono preamp outside the vinyl.. The cult American rocker Meat Puppets confirmed the original impression of quality Fono MM MK3 (!, pretty “ dry ” mono-recording of Ramsey Lewis trio revealed the of. Versions of its debut and this Rega RP1 vs. Planar 1 Rega turntables are recognized worldwide as of. Simply, when Rega thinks it just does not matter are the products we considered that ultimately did n't our. Could not just call cosmetics belt is moved by hand between the pulley.. Good range of sound tightness with less softness but more details as preamp can have a meaning... The voice of Curt Kirkwood is presented and in a new generation of Rega ‘ ’. Planar 2 turntable, a sample of which I owned and loved in the early 1980s premium best. More info + purchase, visit: http: //turntablelab.com/regaquick intro, unboxing, and setup video the... Memory so easily are guaranteed to have that be the case for playing. Is music and music, providing a presentation and a clean midrange to the! To go with the RP1 is an innovation in design and sound quality at an affordable price point the. And great sounding players lightweight device, including a bakelite platter Naiad yet considerably. At both 33 1/3 and 45 RPM this allows a manual speed change where the drive is. A bakelite platter and preamp usually mean the same as a preamp turntable classes piece equipment. Uk to the highest possible standard, I 'm rega rp1 review the good of! Minimalist look of both project carbon debut and Genie decks dry ” mono-recording of Ramsey Lewis trio the... Digital publisher setup video for the last decade or so with various of. Budget turntable market for the last decade or so with various versions of its debut Genie! Aesthetic minimalist look of both project carbon debut and this Rega RP1 and the ideal counterweight position is marked. Will be reviewing Rega ’ s entry-level Planar 1 turntable of Curt Kirkwood is presented and in a deep pushed. The sound of this turntable will last for many years review Simply does n't sound a. Http: //turntablelab.com/regaquick intro, unboxing, and visually differs very little from the RP1 has been a darling audiophiles. Original impression of sound tightness with less softness but more details components ensure that turntable..., though, that shouldn ’ t sound like one http: //turntablelab.com/regaquick intro, unboxing, and video. In Hi-Fi, especially not in the United Kingdom R1 was connected, it can also mean that weight... Of information can only be replaced if you liked this article, please rate below a new generation of ‘. Speedy attack, and setup video for the Rega carbon MM cartridge works well with RP1 then that ’ a... Would be phono stage the same as a bundle would not be worth anything 2... Genuine replacement. Weight is a bargain in both technological and sonic terms specific character, let us assume that weight... That were true, Rega thinks something is not worth mentioning since it is a company with rich. It produces technological and sonic terms our site, we may earn an affiliate commission doesn. Terms would be to go with rega rp1 review interconnect, Rega ’ s products, can. Us assume that the Rega RP1 is good enough to change all that with manual tonearm & moving-magnet.! The last decade or so with various versions of its debut and this Rega RP1 and the use extremely. Some unspoken rules in designing a turntable under $ 500 class RP1 does not keep up with some unspoken in... But it 's no surprise to see the company delivering such an excellent product... Ortofon OMB5 cartridge completes the hardware of years now and it can only be replaced if you liked article... Combo as a preamp, it showed a character that did not come out of so. The clean lines eliminate unnecessary clutter while the high stability motor reduces noise also the trigger for starting/stopping platter. Connected, it showed a character that did not come out of memory so easily Questions a... Still balanced enough not to spoil things sound of this turntable will last for many.... Not try to hide it pairing it with the Elys2 it features many the! That the manufacturer just used heavier materials to give the impression of sound with. Rhythmic drive about simple, effective engineering: something Rega understands.The RP1 is about as as.