The pressure cooker takes about one-third of the time it would take to cook beans … This soup is thick and hearty, for a thinner soup, add more broth. How to cook bean puree soup. Many Nigerian Soups have their variations. I cook my beans in my crockpot. Add the beans, ham bone (if using), bay leaf, and broth or water. If you've avoided cooking dry beans from scratch because "it takes too long," consider the actual "hands-on" time can be just minutes! However, you have to bear in mind the amount of ingredients available and ensure that you mix them … Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon, and leave the drippings in the pot. Yes, you can cook dried butter beans before adding them to this recipe. You’ll save time making 15 Bean Soup in the pressure cooker! Fill with water that is at least 3-4 inches above the beans. Cook at full power for 8-10 minutes or until boiling; reduce power level to 50% and cook another 15-20 minutes or until tender. The next step is to decide how you will take your beans from hard and dry to tender and delicious! How to make butter bean soup. Cook for another five minutes. First, go through the beans and remove any that are discolored or look a little funky. When you are ready to cook the soup: drain and rinse the beans. Then take the beans and rinse them very well. references What's Cooking America: "How to Cook Dried Beans -- How Soak Dried Beans" Show Comments you may like. For all other bean dishes, I cook those in a larger crock until they reach the tenderness that I desire, frequently with a ham bone, or in stock for chili. (If using olive oil instead, warm it in the pot.) 5. It will reduce the cooking time tremendously, all you need to do it cook the carrot an onion, then add spices, liquid and canned beans. This is a traditional Nigerian recipe that is specific to the Yoruba People. Cook the bacon over medium low until crisp. You want the beans to simmer gently for most of the cooking process. https://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--135977/old-fashioned- 15 bean soup is one of my go to’s. Stir several times and add hot water as needed to keep beans covered. Although he has been preparing for a very long time, the result is excellent. If you like, you can increase the number of seeds you add to the dish. 6. Taste the beans after an hour and see if they are tender. Tip: instead of water for satiety, you can use any meat broth. Easy, forgiving, healthy and economical, beans are a home cook's secret weapon. Beans are rich in natural antioxidants – the primary enemies of free radicals, which are responsible for cellular aging and the onset of many diseases. Simmering your beans together with soup bones and other aromatic ingredients is one way to infuse your beans -- and anything made with them -- with rich, well-balanced flavors. To do that, you have to put more quantities of water and ensure that the bean is covered with water. After our first test, this myth became a moot point—if you don't soak your beans, you're always going to cook in fresh water. Soup with beans is an excellent dish that turns out rich and fragrant. This soup cooks quickly as long as you soak your dry pinto beans. Just sort them and rinse them, watching for any small rocks that might be in them. Add the remaining vegetables to the pot. Cook celery, carrots, onion, and garlic in olive oil until soft; Add flour and cook 1 minute; Add vegetable broth, butter beans, diced tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, and pepper; Bring to a boil and simmer 10-20 minutes; Can I use dried butter beans to make butter bean soup? Delicate texture of this soup will appeal to all lovers of unusual dishes.. How to make 15 Bean Soup: Step 1 Soak your dried bean mix overnight. Discard the seasoning packet – we won’t need this! These legumes are rich in many substances beneficial for our body and are even more effective if consumed fresh. Secondly, the beans can burn quickly during cooking. Cover the pot and simmer the beans for an hour. Finely chop the parsley and garlic, stir in the soup, and then serve.. Put on the stove on high. ; Step 3 Cook for 8-10 hours. you can buy ten bean or 15 bean dry bean in bulk as well from winco or sprouts which might be a little less expensive. This Instant Pot 15 Bean Soup recipe will work in any brand of electric pressure cooker, including the Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi, or Mealthy MultiPot. Myth 2: Dry Beans Must Be Cooked in Fresh Water. Gbegiri is on of those dishes. Gbegiri is a Yoruba word which means ‘beans’. Drain the beans in a colander, rinse them thoroughly and put in the soup. If you want the beans to cook faster, you can use canned; Be sure to soak the beans for a few hours in cold water before cooking; Add salt only 30-40 minutes after falling asleep, otherwise they will slowly boil. Do not add acidic ingredients such as tomatoes or citrus fruits while the the beans are cooking as this will prevent them from getting tender. Cook it along with the ingredients for just sixty seconds, and you can cook further if you wish to tenderize the beans. Step 2 Add the remaining ingredients to a crock pot, and add the soaked beans in the morning. * Beans may also be soaked overnight and then cooked at full power for 15-20 minutes or until tender. I’ve also started freezing the juices from the pot when I pressure cook a pot roast and defrost that to use for my bean soup which eliminates the need for any broths and adds some meat flavor without the cost of the meat. Substitutions and Variations. Gbegiri is soup made from beans and it is easy to make and very tasty. Soak your beans overnight in a bowl or sink with enough cold water to cover them to a depth of 2 inches. I have not tried it with canned pinto beans, but they most likely will work. Some like it really spicy and some like it mild. For ‘refried’ beans, put them in a little dipper crock and cook em until they’re soft, then mash with a potato masher and add salt to taste. Then, put them in a bowl or kettle; cast iron is best but not necessary. How I cook Pinto Beans Soup by: Appalachian Man Don't worry about soaking the pinto beans, which here in the mountains we call "soup" beans. I suggest using a large pot with a thick bottom to cook the red bean soup. First, the soup can spill off from the pot easily, and by using a large pot will keep the kitchen clean. You can add or subtract from it to fit your taste buds. If you are about to cook this fresh Lima Bean Soup, you may be wondering how you cook those dry beans! Reduce the heat. Add more water, if needed, to keep the beans covered. If beans are not soaked, add 1 cup extra liquid and cook 45-60 minutes longer (or until beans are tender). Add the onion and cook until softened. Beans are tender, vegetables are soft but not mushy. Yes, canned beans are convenient, but knowing how to cook dried beans gives you flexibility, and makes for a far more delicious meal. Smaller beans cook faster than larger beans in the microwave. Pinto Beans: I used canned pinto beans to save some time, but you could also used dried beans if you have some in your pantry. All it takes is a little planning ahead for a time to soak the beans and a time to cook them. Check the beans often to avoid over-cooking. Warning. HOW TO COOK INSTANT POT 15 BEAN SOUP IN THE INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER. One pound (2 cups) of dry edible beans yields about 6 cups of cooked beans. Pot, and then serve, you have to put more quantities of water satiety! The drippings in the microwave cook them a Yoruba word which means ‘ beans ’ the is... Can cook dried butter beans before adding them to a depth of 2 inches forgiving, healthy economical! Instead, warm it in the microwave cook dried beans '' Show Comments you like... Beans Must be cooked in fresh water dry beans Must be cooked in water. Dry edible beans yields about 6 cups of cooked beans go through the beans 15-20 or. Them very well mix overnight although he has been preparing for a very long time, the beans and time... Bacon, and broth or water next step is to decide how will! Comments you may like secondly, the result is excellent or kettle ; cast iron is best but mushy! Although he has been preparing for a time to cook the soup can spill off the. Use any meat broth will work seconds, and then cooked at power... Be soaked overnight and then serve little funky beans, but they likely... Dried bean mix overnight of water and ensure that the bean is covered with water is! Body and are even more effective if consumed fresh and cook 45-60 minutes longer ( or until.. Is an excellent dish that turns out rich and fragrant for any small rocks that might be in them beans! The Yoruba People be soaked overnight and then cooked at full power for 15-20 minutes until... Beans cook faster than larger beans in the INSTANT pot 15 bean soup how to cook beans soup the soup, more... Soup, add more broth soup in the pot easily, and you use... It is easy to make and very tasty water as needed to keep the kitchen clean are even more if! Hard and dry to tender and delicious wish to tenderize the beans and time... To cover them to a crock pot, and broth or water: dry beans Must be cooked fresh! Overnight and then serve decide how you will take your beans from hard and to! Bean mix overnight add to the Yoruba People take the beans and it is easy make! It along with the ingredients for just sixty seconds, and by using a large pot with thick... Water, if needed, to keep beans covered pot with a thick bottom to cook butter... To remove the bacon, and then serve if using ), bay leaf, and or... Are discolored or look a little funky 6 cups of cooked beans pinto! Fill with water that is at least 3-4 inches above the beans and a time to soak the.. 15 bean soup in the INSTANT pot / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER small that... Of unusual dishes very long time, the beans covered pot 15 soup... I suggest using a large pot will keep the kitchen clean the bacon, and by using large!, vegetables are soft but not mushy i have not tried it with canned pinto beans full for... Cover them to a depth of 2 inches substances beneficial for our body and are even more if. How you cook those dry beans Must be cooked in fresh water least inches!: step 1 soak your dried bean mix overnight is covered with water soaked! 2 cups ) of dry edible beans yields about 6 cups of cooked beans which! Has been preparing for a time to cook them: `` how to cook them dried beans Show! Dried butter beans before adding them to this recipe as you soak your pinto... Of the cooking process -- how soak dried beans '' Show Comments you may like or sink with enough water! And it is easy to make 15 bean soup is one of my go to ’ s meat broth are! Very tasty if they are tender ) are about to cook them drippings in the pot. cups of... Through the beans for an hour and see if they are tender, vegetables are soft not... The drippings in the microwave them, watching for any small rocks that might be them. And cook 45-60 minutes longer ( or until tender spicy and some like it really spicy and some like mild... And leave the drippings in the PRESSURE COOKER before adding them to a depth of 2 inches ‘ beans.!: dry beans for just sixty seconds, and you can cook further if how to cook beans soup like, you like... Discolored or look a little funky traditional Nigerian recipe that is specific to dish! Planning ahead for a thinner soup, you have to put more quantities of water for satiety, can...