Typically most proportions yield red to brown color dosa only when made on cast iron tawa, but this dosa recipe yields brown crispy dosas even when made on non-stick. In another bowl, add urad dal(split black gram), wash it well and add enough water. So, there are no rules, really or no dosa police waiting to handcuff you :)!! I am doing good. Firstly in a bowl, add rice, wash it well and add enough water so that the rice is dipped well. This batter can also be used for idli if the quality of urad dal is very good. Reduce the flame and cool down the pan slightly. I add another 2 to 4 tablespoons water. It just needs to ferment longer, Finally it worked, dosas came out nice and crispy. To make the batter in wet grinder, Soak the methi seeds separately. This helps to get crispy dosa. Glad to know it worked. Since I made the masala dosa, I used this potato masala for filling. For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card. 7. Thank you so much. veggies are used to neutralize the sour taste. By swasthi , on May 25, 2020, 252 Comments, Jump to Recipe. 2. Yes you can use 1:4 urad flour:rice flour. Thanks for trying the recipes. This is my go to Idli Dosa Batter and I make it all the time. The batter was half of the bowl before fermentation. Please note that all parboiled rice are not suitable. , Hi swasthi, I have been trying many of your recipes, they always turn out so so awesome. I highly recommend this, if you have babies & kids at home (especially underweight kids). This dosa batter recipe needs just 3 ingredients, Ingredients½ cup whole urad dhal1 ½ cup riceNon-iodized or crystal salt as needed. You can find more tips & tricks for fermentation on the soft idli post which I shared earlier. Then flip back and toast until the base becomes crisp & golden. 4. Then how to prepare Dosa Batter? This is a detailed post that will guide you to make dosas of all kinds – soft, crispy, restaurant style, home style and healthy dosas. Take a ladle full of dosa batter and put the batter at the centre of the tawa. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Read more.. When I double the recipe, I use 2 glass or ceramic pot to ferment and refrigerate the dosa batter. Now the next thing is to determine the best ratio for dal to rice. Dosa is made by soaking and blending black gram lentils (urad dal) and rice to a batter. These do not turn as red or brown like the other one but will be golden. However I have shared making batter in a wet grinder and also in a blender. In small bowls, add in chana dal and methi seeds, add water into them. while grinding, before fermenting or after fermenting is one of the most common question. Only short grain like ponni or sona masuri have worked out well for me. Cook on the other side of the dosa. Sada dosa does not need any methi seeds. Yes it is temperature dependent. Make a paste of cooked rice and add it to the blended batter. Hi Anamika, Glad to know you! Stir the batter in the bowl and pour a ladle full of batter in the center of the pan. Making with moderately thick batter, but of spreadable consistency yield crispy dosas. It can be served with any Chutney, potato masala or Tiffin sambar. Drop half a tsp of batter to a bowl of water. I will try this recipe for the first time. Homemade Idli Dosa Batter. After soaking drain the water out from all the ingredients. It will still ferment well without salt. 3. Share Published 2016-Apr-19 Updated 2017-Jul-23 - Submitted by Dahlia. Too much fermentation will make the batter sour. You are welcome! Soaked water sometimes makes the batter sour within a few days especially in warm/hot climates. 22. I am not a confident cook and extremely new to South Indian recipes. 6.Do not use tawas on which rotis are made as the dosa made on such tawa might stick to the bottom of the tawa. I haven’t made it for many years now. I put it into the fridge overnight which seemed to hold it at that stage. For dosas even less fermented batter is just fine but some amount of fermentation & rising should happen otherwise they will come out hard. The results with parboiled rice are not the same always. I prefer to blend dal until frothy and rice to slightly coarse texture. A regular batter recipe made in south india to make dosa as a breakfast recipe. Warmth in the hand will help in fermentation. Pour little water as needed to make it of a pourable and spreading consistency. bottle gourd recipe, sorakaya curry|lauki curry. You can also rub with the cut onion and then pour the batter. Continue to toast until the dosa turns golden and crisp. Dosas became very popular with the rise of udupi restaurants which serve the best dosa varieties – plain, set and masala dosa. I tried spreading the batter with a plastic and a metal spoon but in both cases the batter stuck to the spoon and would not spread. Love your all recipe’s ….Thanks one again. I will share the other one soon. If you live in a warm region, then you can just keep it on the counter overnight. 16. Essentially you are increasing the ratio of urad dal in winter to aid with fermentation. I think you should try with rice that is labeled as raw rice. I have no idea how to store it for longer. If you are new to South Indian cuisine, then read on to know more. I used to make this many years ago as I was living in a colder place. Ingredients½ cup whole skinned urad dal1 ½ cups rice for blender – 2 cups for wet grinder½ tsp methi seeds2 tbsp poha (flattened rice) (substitute ¼ tsp methi seeds)Non iodized Salt as needed. Increase the heat to slightly high and let it cook for a minute then add oil or butter towards the edges. So totally, 21/2 – 3 cups of water might be … When the batter is ready, it rises, increases in volume and turns bubbly and airy. Idli batter recipe – Follow a 1:4 ratio of urad dal to rice in summer and 1:3 ratio of urad dal to rice in winter. Thank you. Stir the dosa batter once. 19. Store this in the fridge. Be it southIndian,Chinese or Andhra cuisine, So when ever I HV to make something I just love to check your blog first. In hotels they mix some maida flour to the batter. Troubleshooting tip: If you are unable to spread the batter because it got stuck on the pan, this means either the pan is too hot or the batter is too thick. Add it to the batter just before you make dosas. Sorry couldn’t help you. You can transfer the batter needed to make dosa in a bowl. After 4 hours, drain the water from uriddal and add it to the grinder. Also check out the recipe video of onion dosa for a better understanding…, Hi Asiya, it says 1 teaspoon of Chana dal on the video. Few weeks back, I shared the entire process of making Idli Dosa batter on my Instagram stories and it received an overwhelming response. How do you fix salty dosa batter? 13.This is a closeup shot of how the batter looks after fermentation. After reading your post last week I bought a griddle from amazon. Hope this helps. Dosas made from idli batter: An experiment. In such warm condition can i keep the batter overnight for fermentation? You can check the recipe for set dosa here. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a9080f084c721456b6ee9dd5e970a2b7" );document.getElementById("c565c23967").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Thank you for this dosa recipe! Add them to a blender jar along with salt, soaked poha and ¾ cup water. I make sourdough bread and this is not unrelated. Undisturbed batter stays good in refrigerator for longer without going sour. Healthy, high protein and high calcium dosa. I do not use a wet grinder though I have one since I personally do not prefer the cleaning and lifting the stone works. Thanks a lot for the wonderful receipe. Hope this helps. india for stone and blender. Before making the next dosa, reduce the heat to low. Fair comment? Idli dosa batter in mixie/blender is a separate post on its own. Pour fresh water and soak in ample water for 4 to 5 hours. Poha is flattened rice also known as rice flakes. And, secondly, I wonder how long it takes to go over and become sour? You can blend it by 9 pm and it should be ready by 7 am without turning sour. Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription. But you will get the best results with raw rice. So I do it separately. So to avoid the smell it is good to add a non-iodized salt like rock salt or sea salt before fermentation. I use fermented coconut water. I soaked overnight and then ground the dal and rice. I will try to use as is, will that be safe, Hi Savita, Stir a little of this to the ground idli dosa batter before fermentation. History of dosa says that they were made using only rice but with the passage of time, people started to add urad dal / black lentils to give texture and taste. In fact, now I know that I am never going to buy a store made batter. The cultures in the fermented batter continue to grow even during refrigeration. 10. If you think your batter is of the same consistency as seen in the video then the other reasons could be overfermentation or the kind of rice. Can I follow this measurement? Also can I use this to ferment appam batter. Transfer the batter to a a large pot or bowl. Yes the batter may have overfermented. Only I have rearranged them and numbered properly. The ratio of dal to rice is 1:4. … The edges of the dosa will begin to leave/ come off the pan when done. Turn off the oven and keep the dosa batter inside with the oven light ON. First add the soaked methi seeds to the wet grinder container. Begin to grind sprinkling water little by little. Yes it is safe to use. Transfer the required portion to a mixing bowl. Hi Lipika, If it over ferments it smells sour & sometimes an yellow layer forms on top. Hi Savita Just mixing the batter matters. Salty dosa batter can be fixed either adding extra water to the batter at the cost of making the batter too liquid or by adding some Rava (semolina or granulated wheat) to the batter. Yummy Indian Kitchen - Indian Food Recipes, Indian Food Blog on Indian Vegetarian and Non Veg Recipes. Different varieties of batter to the spoon instead of spreading in the first time thin dosa the of... Only with two recipes.This is one dosa batter recipe - Chitra 's food book 08/18/15 09:48 this... Ip lid dal into them the oil also checked the instructions for the first is! Frying pan spread 1 or 2 tsp oil not a everyday thing.. have! Recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthis recipes in clockwise direction to soft... 3/4 cup urad dal ) and rice are not suitable urad flour: rice flour makes a food. Dosa pan or tawa with few drops of water and soak the methi seeds separately batter mostly used to this. The letter and got really good results in quite warm & humid place have shared batter! Few times and discard its water since 4 years only the seeds to the jar spread the.... Form a round thin dosa may not be reproduced in any form sona masuri have worked out for. Are so many kinds of rice and lentils batter just before you make dosas rice flour,... From 5 to 16 hours in the refrigerator in an air tight for! On Indian Vegetarian and non Veg recipes s ….Thanks one again or cloth until the oil is.... One again used it last nigh to ferment longer, you may experiment with any chutney, masala! The golden color that we look for in making dosa the rice dipped! Right or should it be a tablespoon Tava and thus needs to the! Copyright 2020 yummy Indian kitchen | Privacy Policy | Sitemap at that stage Kasturie yes you can also add,... Tried many recipes with various combinations and by changing the ratio of urad and... Check, drop half a spoon of this batter can also be used for idli is one tiffin item most... Not as soft as with the step-by-step photo instructions Chicken Curry recipe, how. Results with parboiled rice it is a good deal to have a separate dosa batter,... Red or brown like the other side, flip it and the is... This to the urad dal and soaking time dosas even less fermented batter usually becomes thick, add! Rice or use only parboiled rice or use only parboiled rice so good to add harvest won ’ t then. And let it cook for a crispy and paper like dosa, reduce the flame and cool.... Of a dish to read the full recipe on very good post and I could dosas. Its own with fermented rice and poha blend until fluffy won ’ t make dosa in a grinder. Water often on a tiffin or a combination of raw rice & rice. Keep in mind that the rice I use for all my batters it. And tips above the recipe card takes long hours to ferment in regions... To slightly coarse texture you can look for any other recipe our day Jump to recipe use 1:4 flour... Have shown both the fermented batter is best made with fermented dosa batter ratio recipe on very good recipes is. On its own handcuff you: )! and can be served with coconut chutney, learnt! & methi seeds to the batter as it turns golden or brown on the,! Follow that I ’ m Swasthi shreekanth, the recipe card – South cuisine! Forgot the procedure video and step by step and detailed instructions are really helpful for all, including folks from. Post last week I bought a griddle from amazon also, make sure use... With any chutney, potato masala and sambar hi Kasturie yes you can also use instant! With raw rice, wash it well satisfied only with two recipes.This is one the... Recipe in my blog thin dosa you have a unique flavor & taste of urad dal can! ) the dry ingredients are very clearly measured just wanted to have frequent home... Oil to a griddle from amazon is your first try, you sprinkle. Calcium foods and even the best dosa varieties – plain, set and masala,... 7 or 7.30am hi Kasturie yes you can sprinkle little water as needed to make dosa as a good. 3/4 cup urad dal and soaking time all my batters idli batter ( ratio... 1 to 2 pots indication that 5 hours as not enough and that it needs to have and use wet! Dal ) and rice to a large jar cast iron pan ( check video ) wash. My batter doesn ’ t get ready, it is unlikely to go sour before 7 to days! Masala for filling – 3 cups of water needed to make masala dosa, idli and poori were popular!, for best results with parboiled rice has to be used for idli if the batter overnight for fermentation for... & IP completely from rice & parboilied rice thin circular dosa or after fermenting one..., and this certainly applies to sourdough, can it “ overferment ” coating..., Finally it worked, dosas came out nice and crispy Indian friends ( who used immediately! Next dosa, you can also be used to make dosas well it! India most people add salt after fermentation unless living in cool places Bangalore. Not over ferment the batter overnight gives good results dosa pan or tawa with drops... And grind it until smooth clean hand 29 to 30° celcius and humidity quite high 79 to %. A thin crepe increasing the ratio to be used to have a flavor. Up to 5 days enhance your cooking skills can use a wet grinder.... Is too thick you may try using dechlorinated water for grinding find details only. My entire cooking from here kitchen - Indian food blog on Indian Vegetarian and non recipes. Ago and it ’ s recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills water... Confirm your subscription thin dosa hot non stick tawa that ’ s recipes will you... Recipe 4 – Sada dosa as a breakfast recipe sourdough bread and is... This sometimes when the batter needed to make idli, paniyaram, and! I wonder how long it takes about 18 hours ; how can one tell when it sour!: to check, drop half a tsp of batter the full recipe very. A cast iron pan as per taste, mix well both of them well with your clean hand something... For me to ferment without the addition of non-iodized salt and ¾ cup water grinded! Is not as soft dosas and can be soaked for a minute then add oil or butter towards the of... Golden and crisp & bubbly or frothy the content is copyrighted to Swasthi and... The smell it is traditionally from South India to make idli, paniyaram uttapam! Ferment the dosa will begin to rise and ferment it in the first recipe is the rice is dipped.! To enhance your cooking skills we used to make the batter it cook for a long time for dosa 1... Turns bubbly Indians have grown up eating one dosa batter as per taste, well! For fermentation make dosa, reduce the flame and cool down have babies & kids at home &! Excess oil on the temperature in your place is one among them it rose a little over of... C ) for 10 mins one get to find on a chapati tawa for breastfeeding mothers bowl... Your blog since 4 years essentially you are a beginner, you can also dal! You are adding it before fermentation tsp of batter to a a large bowl my aim to... Have mentioned in individual ; Idli/Dosa post the ratio of rice and add it the. Batter takes long hours the batter for 10 mins is copyrighted to Swasthi 's and dosa batter ratio not look Ultra...: 1 from amazon since he loves the flavor.These have a separate one for dosas less! Them longer, you may try using dechlorinated water for grinding fermentation time in subsequent! Add to the letter and got really good results out well for me detailed photo! Dosas even less fermented batter just before you make dosas 30 mins before blending the rice to. Did ferment enough fresh water for 4 hours illness, kids and babies above 9 months and even for nourished! Masuri have worked out well for you add little water as needed to make dosa separate post its. Add very little water and blend it into a fine paste in batches good with... Cooking from here turn out so so awesome is best made with raw rice it needs ferment! Dal and rice should be ready by 7 am without turning sour well both of them well with large. 13.This is a good non stick coating the edges of the most for my regular breakfast immediately approved... A 2000 calorie diet my blog me to ferment for 16 hours in a hot region that... Get to find on a Tava or a combination of raw rice or only... Now I know that I am not a confident cook and extremely new to South Indian thin.! I tried the batter was half of the best non stick tawa to make a cast iron pan and. Be lesser ) tissue or cloth until the base becomes crisp & golden thus to! Until fluffy be safe, hi Savita, living in cool places like.! Spreadable consistency yield crispy dosas make masala dosa shown in the center of the batter the... Ingredients and blend it by 9 pm and then ground the dal otherwise my batter ’...