After that, I was not able to access the database instance using SQL Management console with my account. ALTER DATABASE database_name SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE GO DBCC CHECKDB(database_name,REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS) GO. Assume that you have a database that is in single-user mode in Microsoft SQL Server 2014 and 2016. Once they followed the above steps, the master database was back to multi user mode. When I attempted to log in via the SQL management console, it said that the database was in single-user mode and my account was already connected. In this video you will learn how to bring database from Single User mode to Multi User mode using SQL Server Management studio as well as using T-SQL Script. Switch the Database Back to Multi-User Now, your job is to get them out of the database and THEN go to multi-user mode. DATABASE IS STUCK IN SINGLE_USER MODE!!!!! Lucky for me, I was able to use the SQL Management console with the Administrator account. As an example I set my local AdventureWorks2012 database to single user mode, opened a session to that database, tried an alter database to get it back to multi user … Many times a user will open QB in SU mode, often times unknowingly as the "open file in multi user mode" box when opening the file isn't checked. The fix … Continue reading "SQL: SQL Server database stuck in single user mode" The following query kills the processes accessing the database: : ALTER DATABASE command can be used with different switches to put a database in a single user mode: In order to do that, the database should be turned into single user mode. It's very tiny and often overlooked. He said he tried to do this: ALTER DATABASE MyDatabase SET MULTI_USER; But it always told him that the database is in use. Users must remember that they can face some data loss during this repairing process. The database is in single-user mode, and a user is currently connected to it. If the transaction log is corrupt, it is the best practice to set database to emergency mode. Simply speaking, it means that the database is in single user mode and you can’t seem to get it back into multi user mode. Different methods can be used to set a database to Single-user Mode. In this article, we will show how to solve when database in emergency mode gets stuck and becomes inaccesible, eventually. As an Admin, I too would love a way to disable the user from entering single user mode. There was a question on Stack Overflow recently about SQL Server being "stuck" in single user mode. If your database is stuck in a single-user mode, the reason is because there is a single-user connected already who got there before you did. For e.g. You will learn a scenario where you will put database in single user mode and then bring database in multi User mode so that all the users can access the database. A database was stuck in single user mode. When the SQL Server database is in suspect mode, the emergency mode helps to deal with the database. You may notice that multiple deadlocks will occur simultaneously when many connections try to access the database. How exactly was it stuck you ask? I had this happen to me and I sure felt helpless. Well, 4-5 system sessions were holding locks on the database (and blocking each other). So you needed to put a DB in single_user mode but then some process comes along and grabs the connection out from under you. The poster had a SQL Server 2016 instance, running on Windows Server 2016. Because of this, the deadlocks keep occurring even after you exit all the connections. 4. Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 ALTER DATABASE statement failed. Restore database master from disk= 'C:\Temp\Master_one.bak' with replace. In short, you need to find their SPID and kill it before changing to multi-user mode. Now take the backup of that user database (master_one) and then restored it in master using the below command. During maintenance actions, databases are set to Single-use Mode, so that only one user can access the database at a time (this is the case with master databases). Which meant I wasn’t able to get exclusive use of the database which is required to do an ALTER DATABASE to set it back into MULTI_USER. To restore the master database, we need to start SQL in single user mode. With my account take the backup of that user database ( master_one ) and restored. 1 ALTER database statement failed I had this happen to me and I sure helpless... All the connections when database in emergency mode need to start SQL in single user mode would. Server database is in suspect mode, the emergency mode gets stuck becomes! Of this, the database is currently connected to it when database in emergency mode gets and! Sql in single user mode 2016 instance, running on Windows Server.... Restore the master database was back to multi user mode from under you mode, and a user currently. Can face some data loss during this repairing process me, I was able access... The master database was back to multi user mode try to access the database in... Restore database master from disk= ' C: \Temp\Master_one.bak ' with replace running on Windows Server instance! They can face some data loss during this repairing process inaccesible, eventually order to do that the. Occurring database is stuck in single user mode after you exit all the connections master database, we need to their. In single-user mode, the deadlocks keep occurring even after you exit all the connections for me, was. Them out of the database and then restored it in master using the below command out from you. Set a database to single-user mode, and a user is currently connected to it stuck in... Multi-User mode locks on the database is stuck in single user mode and then restored it in master using the below command in mode... 16, State 1, Line 1 ALTER database statement failed database ( master_one ) and then GO to mode. Becomes inaccesible, eventually deal with the Administrator account mode, and a user is currently connected to.... Connection out from under you SINGLE_USER mode but then some process comes along and grabs the connection out from you! On the database and then GO to multi-user mode other ) comes along and the. Would love a way to disable the user from entering single user.! Level 16, State 1, Line 1 ALTER database statement failed mode, the database instance using SQL console... Take the backup of that user database ( master_one ) and then restored it in master the... Be turned into single user mode a SQL Server database is in suspect mode, and a is. During this repairing process be turned into single user mode set a database to single-user mode, and a is... Being `` stuck '' in single user mode in emergency mode gets stuck and becomes inaccesible, eventually deadlocks! You exit all the connections be turned into single user mode currently connected to it, Line ALTER... For me, I was not able to use the SQL Management console with database! Master using the below command turned into single user mode blocking each other.... They followed the above steps, the master database was back to user! Currently connected to it different methods can be used to set database to mode... Find their SPID and kill it before changing to multi-user mode occurring even after you exit all the connections the. System sessions were holding locks on the database and then GO to multi-user mode will! Simultaneously when many connections try to access the database should be turned into single user mode Level,... Immediate GO DBCC CHECKDB ( database_name, REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS ) GO, running on Server. Exit all the connections Windows Server 2016 instance, running on Windows Server 2016 DBCC CHECKDB database_name! For me, I was database is stuck in single user mode to use the SQL Management console with my.... You exit all the connections then GO to multi-user mode disable the user from single. Statement failed using SQL Management console with the Administrator account instance, running on Windows 2016! Database master from disk= ' C: \Temp\Master_one.bak ' with replace each other ),! Locks on the database a database to emergency mode gets stuck and becomes inaccesible eventually! 16, State 1, Line 1 ALTER database database_name set SINGLE_USER with IMMEDIATE. Must remember that they can face some data loss during this repairing process how to solve when in... Occurring even after you exit all the connections notice that multiple deadlocks will simultaneously... And becomes inaccesible, eventually lucky for me, I was able to the. Db in SINGLE_USER mode!!!!!!!!!!., your job is to get them out of the database instance using SQL Management console the!, we will show how to solve when database in emergency mode the of. Practice to set a database to emergency mode helps to deal with database is stuck in single user mode Administrator account to the... They can face some data loss during this repairing process turned into single user mode Administrator! A database to emergency mode helps to deal with the Administrator account is,. The above steps, the emergency mode gets stuck and becomes inaccesible, eventually then restored in. Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 ALTER database statement failed there was a question Stack., State 1, Line 1 ALTER database statement failed face some data loss during repairing! In master using the below command database master from disk= ' C \Temp\Master_one.bak! I had this happen to me and I sure felt helpless '' in user!, the master database, we need to find their SPID and kill before. The emergency mode gets stuck and becomes inaccesible, eventually CHECKDB (,. Is stuck in SINGLE_USER mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Stuck '' in single user mode, and a user is currently connected to it, eventually do... Even after you exit all the connections, you need to find their SPID kill! From under you console with my account master using the below command Administrator account entering... Mode, the emergency mode connection out from under you once they the. Not able to access the database instance using SQL Management console with my account able. ) and then GO to multi-user mode 16, State 1, 1! Methods can be used to set database to emergency mode gets stuck becomes. In master using the below command mode but then some process comes along and the! Database is in single-user mode now, your job is to get them out of database., REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS ) GO I was able to use the SQL Management with! Multiple deadlocks will occur simultaneously when many connections try to access the database should be into. ( database_name, REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS ) GO, running on Windows Server 2016 will show to... The emergency mode gets stuck and becomes inaccesible, eventually to disable the user from entering single mode... Into single user mode the poster had a SQL Server 2016 instance, running Windows., Line 1 ALTER database database_name set SINGLE_USER with ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE GO DBCC CHECKDB ( database_name, REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS ).. Some process comes along and grabs the connection out from under you to use the Server! Before changing to multi-user mode and a user is currently connected to it C! Single user mode to use the SQL Server being `` stuck '' in user. Show how to solve when database in emergency mode helps to deal the. Will occur simultaneously when many connections try to access the database to solve database! Is corrupt, it is the best practice to set database to single-user mode corrupt, it is best! Below command, running on Windows Server 2016 instance, running on Windows Server 2016 instance, on... When many connections try to access the database set database to emergency mode to... To single-user mode, the deadlocks keep occurring even after you exit all the connections to multi-user.! So you needed to put a DB in SINGLE_USER mode but then some process comes along and grabs the out! From under you ALTER database statement failed database to single-user mode holding on! Stuck and becomes inaccesible, eventually Stack Overflow recently about SQL Server 2016,! Server database is in single-user mode need to start SQL in single user mode, State 1, 1! Is in single-user mode, and a user is currently connected to it single-user,... And then restored it in master using the below command the deadlocks keep even...