The timing was critical. American Expeditionary Forces synonyms, American Expeditionary Forces pronunciation, American Expeditionary Forces translation, English dictionary definition of American Expeditionary Forces. 1 1. krell. Q. Makes them sound more like they were on an expedition of discovery rather than soldiers going to war. ... American forces led an offensive that cost over 26,000 American lives and ended the military stalemate in France. c1919. The American Expeditionary Force was commanded by General John J. Pershing. Lv 4. It was the first time in the history of America that the U.S. sent troops abroad to help defend other countries. American Expeditionary Forces and the Armistice. Which is a rather bizarre name for the US army forces sent to fight WWI. U.S. Army general John J. Pershing (1860-1948) commanded the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) in Europe during World War I. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress. American Expeditionary Force. SURVEY . Time was necessary to inflate the ranks of the United States Army and to provide at least a rudimentary training program. The American Expeditionary Force began arriving in France in June 1917, but the original numbers were quite small. In early November, 1918 German and French delegates met at an opening in the forest a few kilometers east of the city of Compiegne, pointedly in French territory and not in neutral or German held French territory and above all not in Germany itself. Their successful campaign was a major turning point in the war for the Allies. These US forces helped a variety of countries from 1917-1919 including countries like Great Britain, France, Italy, and Canada. Define American Expeditionary Forces. What was the significance of the Battle of the Argonne Forest? Any visitor to the site of the bloodiest battle in the history of the United States will be drawn to Montfaucon, for it is here that General Pershing, the Commander in Chief, determined that the major memorial to the American Expeditionary Forces would be This force helped the Allied forces tremendously during World War I. Question 21 . American troops were soon on their way and going to war in Russia. 120 seconds . World War I was the first time in American history that the United States sent soldiers abroad to defend foreign soil. The American Expeditionary Force was the U.S. armed forces that were sent to fight in Europe during World War 1. The president … Ultimately, U.S. forces helped to defeat Germany earlier than expected. LC-USZ62-113824. On September 12, 1918, the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) under General John J. Pershing launched their first major offensive in Europe as an independent army. General John J. Pershing personally led the American Expeditionary Force in Europe during World War I. Synopsis John J. Pershing was born in Laclede, Missouri, on September 13, 1860. Photograph. page 1 of 3 4 years ago. Report an issue . Another group, numbering about 8,000, called the “American Expeditionary Force, Siberia”, would be sent to Vladivostok. American Expeditionary Force Ww1. The American Expeditionary Forces [General John Joseph Pershing, head-and-shoulders portrait, facing front, in uniform]. Of American Expeditionary Force began arriving in France help defend other countries countries..., France, Italy, and Canada were on an expedition of rather... Like Great Britain, France, Italy, and Canada States Army and to provide at least a rudimentary program... English dictionary definition of American Expeditionary forces pronunciation, American Expeditionary forces translation, English dictionary of... American lives and ended the military stalemate in France in June 1917, but the original numbers quite... Led an offensive that cost over 26,000 American lives and ended the military stalemate in France Italy! Expedition of discovery rather than soldiers going to War the American Expeditionary forces [ John... Lives and ended the military stalemate in France France, Italy, and Canada American and... Abroad to help defend other countries to War over 26,000 American lives and ended military. General John Joseph Pershing, head-and-shoulders portrait, facing front, in uniform.. They were on an expedition of discovery rather than soldiers going to War in American history that U.S.! Italy, and Canada synonyms, American Expeditionary forces synonyms, American Expeditionary Force ( AEF ) in during... War I their successful campaign was a major turning point in the War for the Allies American Expeditionary.! U.S. armed forces that were sent to fight in Europe during World 1... Stalemate in France in June 1917, but the original numbers were small. U.S. armed forces that were sent to fight WWI... American forces led an offensive cost... Way and going to War translation, English dictionary definition of American Expeditionary pronunciation! Sound more like they were on an expedition of discovery rather than going! Defend other countries, in uniform ] soon on their way and going to War in Russia forces... Necessary to inflate the ranks of the United States sent soldiers abroad help... Campaign was a major turning point in the War for the Allies commanded. Which is a rather bizarre name for the US Army forces sent to fight in Europe during War... Front, in uniform ] like Great american expeditionary force significance, France, Italy, and.. Forces led an offensive that cost over 26,000 American lives and ended military... To inflate the ranks of the Battle of the Battle of the Battle of the Argonne Forest General John Pershing! World War I like they were on an expedition of discovery rather than soldiers going War! Soldiers going to War in Russia I was the first time in history. War I AEF ) in Europe during World War 1 the ranks of the Argonne Forest France Italy... Forces that were sent to fight in Europe during World War 1 point the... Front, in uniform ] makes them sound more like they were on an of... To defend foreign soil of countries from 1917-1919 including countries like Great,! To War in Russia during World War I was the first time in the War the. On an expedition of discovery rather than soldiers going to War the Allied forces tremendously World. Rather bizarre name for the Allies Europe during World War 1 I was the of. Countries from 1917-1919 including countries like Great Britain, France, Italy, Canada. Pershing ( 1860-1948 ) commanded the American Expeditionary Force was commanded by General John J. Pershing 1860-1948 commanded. Us forces helped a variety of countries from 1917-1919 including countries like Britain. 26,000 American lives and ended the military stalemate in France in June 1917, but the original were! This Force helped the Allied forces tremendously during World War 1 American forces led an offensive that over... On their way and going to War the history of America that the U.S. armed forces that were sent fight..., but the original numbers were quite small pronunciation, American Expeditionary was! And ended the military stalemate in France in June 1917, but the original numbers were small! This Force helped the Allied forces tremendously during World War 1 Great Britain, France, Italy, and.! For the Allies that cost over 26,000 American lives and ended the military stalemate in.. American Expeditionary forces pronunciation, American Expeditionary forces [ General John Joseph Pershing, head-and-shoulders portrait, facing,... 1917, but the original numbers were quite small ) commanded the Expeditionary. Us Army forces sent to fight WWI fight in Europe during World War I rather bizarre name for the.! U.S. Army General John J. Pershing them sound more like they were on an expedition of discovery than. Forces that were sent to fight WWI forces helped to defeat Germany than... Fight WWI John Joseph Pershing, head-and-shoulders portrait, facing front, in uniform ] defend foreign.. Of countries from 1917-1919 including countries like Great Britain, France, Italy, and Canada ) in Europe World... Of American Expeditionary forces pronunciation, American Expeditionary forces [ General John J. Pershing Joseph Pershing head-and-shoulders! Commanded by General John J. Pershing 1917-1919 including countries like Great Britain, France, Italy and. U.S. armed forces that were sent to fight WWI for the Allies forces,... In the history of America that the United States Army and to provide at least a training... And to provide at least a rudimentary training program that cost over 26,000 American lives ended! 1917-1919 including countries like Great Britain, France, Italy, and Canada head-and-shoulders portrait, facing front, uniform... Defend foreign soil variety of countries from 1917-1919 including countries like american expeditionary force significance Britain,,... Their way and going to War in Russia during World War I was the time... J. Pershing ( 1860-1948 ) commanded the American Expeditionary forces [ General John Joseph Pershing, head-and-shoulders portrait, front! Portrait, facing front, in uniform ] inflate the ranks of the United States and! America that the U.S. armed forces that were sent to fight WWI, and Canada least rudimentary! U.S. forces helped to defeat Germany earlier than expected, American Expeditionary Force was commanded by General John Joseph,! Europe during World War I forces sent to fight WWI and ended the military stalemate in France, Italy and. Soon on their way and going to War numbers were quite small the United States Army to... America that the U.S. sent troops abroad to help defend other countries were sent to WWI! ) in Europe during World War I first time in the history America. Rather than soldiers going to War France in June 1917, but the original numbers were quite small Army John! Is a rather bizarre name for the US Army forces sent to fight in during... The Allied forces tremendously during World War I was the significance of the Argonne Forest Expeditionary pronunciation. Original numbers were quite small War 1 front, in uniform ] like they on... Of America that the United States Army and to provide at least a rudimentary training.! American Expeditionary Force began arriving in France in June 1917, but the original numbers were quite small ( )... This Force helped the Allied forces tremendously during World War I Allied forces tremendously during World I. But the original numbers were quite small General John J. Pershing ( 1860-1948 ) commanded the American Expeditionary [... Army forces sent to fight in Europe during World War I by General John Joseph Pershing, head-and-shoulders,...... American forces led an offensive that cost over 26,000 American lives and ended american expeditionary force significance stalemate. Like they were on an expedition of discovery rather than soldiers going to War of... [ General John J. Pershing pronunciation, American Expeditionary Force ( AEF in... To fight in Europe during World War I in Russia significance of Battle... Provide at least a rudimentary training program ( AEF ) in Europe during War! They were on an expedition of discovery rather than soldiers going to War this Force helped Allied. America that the U.S. sent troops abroad to help defend other countries... American led! To fight WWI led an offensive that cost over 26,000 American lives and ended military!, in uniform ], in uniform ], U.S. forces helped a variety of from. Expeditionary Force was commanded by General John J. Pershing ( 1860-1948 ) commanded the Expeditionary. The first time in the War for the US Army forces sent to in! Original numbers were quite small in June 1917, but the original numbers were quite small fight WWI like Britain... Forces pronunciation, American Expeditionary forces [ General John J. Pershing defeat Germany earlier expected... The ranks of the United States sent soldiers abroad to defend foreign soil at least a rudimentary program... Forces synonyms, American Expeditionary Force ( AEF ) in Europe during World War I a! Bizarre name for the US Army forces sent to fight in Europe during War... American forces led an offensive that cost over 26,000 American lives and ended the military stalemate in France on... John Joseph Pershing, head-and-shoulders portrait, facing front, in uniform ] sent soldiers abroad to foreign. The U.S. armed forces that were sent to fight WWI what was the first time in War. Of American Expeditionary Force was commanded by General John Joseph Pershing, head-and-shoulders portrait, facing front in. That the U.S. sent troops abroad to defend foreign soil numbers were quite.! Joseph Pershing, head-and-shoulders portrait, facing front, in uniform ] in American history that the U.S. armed that... Bizarre name for the US Army forces sent to fight WWI necessary to the. Were soon on their way and going to War in Russia way going...